Sunday 24 February 2013

The Language exchange meetup


I've been invited to the Language exchange meetup last Sunday. I had no idea how much fun it can be. In this post I'd like to thank Mark for his great job.
The meetup is at a local pub near Waterloo station. Spacious bar and it has some pretty tasty ales as well. The meetups are usually on a Sunday evening - which might not be the best time for socializing - but it turned out it's not too bad either.

I've met with all kinds of people from all over the world. USA, Asia, Europa, Africa. I don't know if it's only me - but several times I had that stupid thought - you know - "oh my god you're from ABC - tell me everything". And it's even more surprising when you realize some countries are really that different.  And you know - a real time experience worth much more than a tourist guide. I don't care about any coast or church or crocked tower. The only thing I'd travel for is people. I was listening to a presentation about relationships and there was explained the importance of observation in natural environment. I get STD from any kind of tourist attraction. I need to observe. During my travels in Europe I never wanted to see places. Well, some palm trees and mountains never hurt either.

So yeah, this meetup is like a taster from the real beauty of differences. I was careful not to talk about technology - as it can be annoying to normal people. But you always find somebody. Usually you have the very general talks that you cannot miss. Where are you from, what are you doing, etc. I think it's just time, you have to be there more than once and you just catch up from where you left.

---

This week there will be DrupalCamp London - so I can't be there, but excited to attend again afterwards.

Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.